Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Earworm: Woke up quick at about noon.

My current work schedule affords me the glamorous life of getting up every day at around noon. I have time to collect my thoughts, do some junk around the house and contemplate my life.

This week I have taken it upon myself to post on Facebook whatever song is running through my head when I wake up. I have been looking for something to blog about, and that seems like a good gateway to get back into writing.

So here goes. A simple assignment in writing every day. I'll start by combining all of my songs for the week thus far into one entry, then post every day if I am able.

Sunday, May 16, 2010: The Get Up Kids "Forgive and Forget"



Sunday was the first day that this idea came to me, after walking around the house for an hour or so, singing "Forgive and Forget" to myself. This was from the days when emo wasn't something that made me want to stab myself in the ear. There was a look to the kids who listened to the music, but it was more indie-rock than lame-o-neon-goth chic. I picked up the Red Letter Day EP by the Get Up Kids back in 1999, when I was working as a terrible club DJ but listening to Jimmy Eat World nonstop. My musical tastes have wavered over the years, some more questionable than others, but 1999 was a good year for my musical development.

Monday, May 17, 2010: The Gaslight Anthem "Old White Lincoln"



The Gaslight Anthem is my favorite current band. I stumbled upon their greatness by accident. A friend in California sent me an email saying that he was opening for a new band a few years ago. He didn't care for their sound, but thought that I might really like them. The first song that I heard was the demo of "Drive" on their MySpace page. The demo captured the blue-collar energy of Bruce Springsteen fronting Against Me!, and I was instantly hooked.

Gaslight runs through my head a lot. This song comes from their second full-length The '59 Sound, my absolute favorite album from 2008. Their new album, American Slang, comes out on June 14.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010: Dramarama "What Are We Gonna Do"/"Haven't Got a Clue"





"What Are We Gonna Do" gets stuck in my head a lot. When I went to post it on Facebook, I accidentally posted "Haven't Got a Clue" instead. Both are good songs, but the latter is better. Upon pulling it up on YouTube, everything else was pushed right out of my head.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010: Siouxsie and the Banshees "Peek-a-Boo"

My taste in music has changed over the years, but it was my formative-listening experience that has remained constant throughout. Thanks, Mike and Sue. This one is for you.



Today's song is one of my all-time favorites. I love Siouxsie and the Banshees.

When I left Minneapolis at the end of the fifth grade, I was a directionless kid, happy to listen to whatever was on the radio. Enter the sixth grade. I was in a new school and befriended a kid who made mix tapes for everybody. They were split between his records (Dead Milkmen, They Might Be Giants, Violent Femmes) and his sister's (The Cure, Depeche Mode, Bauhaus). "Peek-a-Boo" was one of the first songs that I heard under my new-music instruction, and was instrumental in showing me that there was more out there than just what was played on the radio.

Well, that's all so far. There will be many more posts to come, hopefully on a daily basis.

The housework is done and I've actually written something! Time to enjoy the rest of the day.

No comments: