Thursday, June 3, 2010

Earworm: Beautiful Girls

Bayside "Beautiful Girls"

I really dislike mainstream radio. Turn to any pop station an you hear the same ten songs over and over again. Sean Kingston's "Beautiful Girls" is one of those songs. When this song would get stuck in my head a few years ago, I would go out of my way to listen to mainstream radio in an effort to find something to replace it. The lyrics were inane and the interpolation of "Stand By Me" was worse than a straight, autotuned cover would have been.

The Bayside cover is a completely different animal. Doing away with all but the basic hints of "Stand By Me," their version still shares the same nonsensical message, but they turn it from a vintage-inspired, modern-pop mess into a '50s do-rock dance number. As an added bonus, somehow the tongue-in-cheek take on the lyrics seems a lot more realistic, as if they actually went through the heartbreak about which they play. It's just about a perfect match-up and succeeds in doing something that I didn't think was possible. It made me love that song.


No comments: