Monday, June 28, 2010

Earworm: Buy Me a Condo

Given that I ended up unintentionally writing about "Weird Al" Yankovic last Tuesday, I don't have much to say about "Buy Me a Condo," one of the original, non-parody songs from "Weird Al" Yankovic in 3-D the same 1984 album that brought us "Eat It."

Like I said before, I wasn't familiar with a lot of the songs that Al parodied when I was a child, but I knew that they were parodies. As I got older and started searching out the originals, I was confused by his style parodies, which were original songs inspired by a specific artist or genre of music. I never really liked "Buy Me a Condo" when I was a kid. The music was fine, but I didn't understand the lyrics at all. I'm sure I asked my mother what ganja was a time or two after hearing the word in song.

I have now listened to "Buy Me a Condo" again for the first time in years, and it's far better than I remember, since I actually know what he is singing about now. The generic reggae music and lyrics are actually fairly cutting into the suburban-yuppie lifestyle, even if children make up the main demographic for the music. You've got to start somewhere, right?

No comments: