Monday, June 21, 2010

Earworm: Gone for Good

Remember when Garden State came out and Natalie Portman said that "New Slang" by the Shins would change your life? Not mine. I heard absolutely nothing special about most of that soundtrack, given that it was made up of stuff that I had been listening to for years. I hated that the indie stuff that I loved was suddenly in the mainstream. The movie seemed cute but forced, and I rolled my eyes whenever anyone asked me if I had heard the soundtrack.

I didn't like the Shins at all, and made an effort to get far, far away from the new hipster crowd that emerged from bringing the scene into the mainstream. I didn't give the Shins a chance at all.

Lately, however, Pandora has been playing "Gone for Good" from Chutes too Narrow a lot. I'm realizing that the hype, now that it has had several years to cool down, is actually warranted. It's a really good album, one that I would have loved had I found it on my own. I'm man enough to admit that my music snobbery made me miss out on some great stuff.

No comments: