Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Earworm: Hips Don't Lie

Shakira is a hit-or-miss musician for me. I understand the appeal, and her latest album is so out-there that its bizarreness is almost enough to make me want to listen. "She-Wolf" is an amazing trainwreck that can get me dancing every time. It's even my ringtone for when my wife calls. She hates it.

That said, "Hips Don't Lie" has bugged me since the first time I heard it. Not only is it a terrible pop song, but it became a hit and was tacked onto a reissue of her 2006 album, Oral Fixation, Vol. 2 in an attempt to elevate sagging record sales. It worked, and whether I listened to the radio or not, I couldn't escape the terrible-duet stylings of Shakira and Wyclef Jean. I used to be a big Wyclef fan, too. The Carnival was one of the best albums of 1997, and I will always love his work with the Fugees. Everything afterwards? Not so much.

Lo and behold, four years later I stumble upon this amazing parody of "Hips Don't Lie" and I actually like it. The pairing of Shakira and the fake Danzig make the song not just tolerable, but actually catchy. Now it's an earworm that I don't mind having stuck in my head.

My favorite part is at 00:21. Danzig and the wolf. Go!

No comments: