Monday, June 14, 2010

Earworm: Joyride

Last cassette years! Last cassette years! I don't think that I even owned this one. Roxette was rumored to be discovered by a Minneapolis DJ who brought a copy of Look Sharp back to the US. You know, because nothing is truly important until we have our stamp on it. Wikipedia says that it was an exchange student who brought a copy of the album back home to Minnesota and gave it to a DJ. If Wikipedia says it, it must be true.

Right after that rumor hit, I got it in my head that I was going to discover the next big thing during a family vacation to Australia. That band was a hair-metal group called Roxus. If I remember correctly, they were terrible, making the kind of music that would have fit into a cheesy 1980s-montage video, and/or the animated Transformers movie. Thankfully grunge came along and swept that one under the rug.

I am not a Grammy-winning producer. Roxus was supposed to be my ticket to the big time. Some things just aren't meant to be.



No comments: