Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Earworm: One Tin Soldier

Coven "One Tin Soldier"

I had to work hard on this one. The lingering effects of the AFI concert have remained for three days now, so I tried as hard as I could to get something new stuck in my head.

When I first left Minneapolis due to a forced family move in the late 1980s, I joined my new school's choir. They made us sing "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison and "One Tin Soldier" by Coven. None of the other kids were familiar with it, but I knew the 45 that my parents had. I grew up in a very diverse area of the city and always loved that song due to its passive-aggressive nature.

The song has made a comeback of sorts in recent years, although more than ten years isn't so recent, I suppose. Punk-based supergroup Me First and the Gimme Gimmes covered "One Tin Soldier" on their first album, Have a Ball. I love each one of their albums of sped-up versions of songs that I know, even if I don't care for the source material. I'll take "One Tin Soldier" in any form though.

No comments: