Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Earworm: Running Up That Hill

Anyone who has known me long knows that I used to be a Tori Amos fan. I mean really used to be a Tori Amos fan, to the point of that's what defined me as a person for several years. Now, not so much. I generally press the skip button if one of her songs comes on, and don't really understand why I loved her music so much anymore.

It's kind of sad when you lose that big a piece of yourself. That's what you get when you find identity through music though. Tastes change. I never thought that mine would change so much.

Given that the music, voice and theatricality of Tori Amos were what drew me in, it's surprising that I never got into similar artists. Kate Bush was essentially the blueprint for everything that Tori did, yet I never particularly enjoyed anything aside from "Running Up That Hill." That one is one of my favorite songs of all time.



It's rare that I like a cover version of a song that I love as much as the original, but Placebo's cover is brilliant.

No comments: