Sunday, July 11, 2010

Earworm: Bastards of Young

My wife has been trying to get me to write about "Bastards of Young" forever, but it just didn't feel right until now. I woke up this morning without a song in my head--a blessing after the rainbow song took over for a couple days--and she kept humming songs to me knowing that I didn't want to write about the Replacements yet. She started in with various '80s songs while I was in the shower, but none of them stuck.

She wins. As soon as she got in and I went to towel off, "Bastards of Young" came at me like a truck full of bricks.

The Replacements are one of the most important bands in my life. Most of my music at that time came from mixtapes made by friends, but hey were one of the bands that I found on my own, when I was in junior high and high school. I'm not sure how that happened, given that they were a Minneapolis staple, but it did. I'm sure it was due to great alternative radio stations like KJ104 and REV105, and I'm eternally grateful.

To me, "Bastards of Young" sums up everything that I loved about the city. There is a raw desperation and genuine angst that flow from the music. It just seems so real. The lyrics speak to me like few songs can, making the song still feel like my own personal anthem to this day.

I haven't heard the original version in ages, instead turning to the cover by Against Me! for the past couple of years. It's a toss-up as to which version is actually running through my head, so I'll post both videos today.

There is nothing that I would like to do more right now than hop on my bike with a copy of Tim and ride around the lakes. I miss my city.

Now if I can just talk the Mrs. into moving up north...



No comments: