Saturday, July 31, 2010

Earworm: House of the Rising Sun

Somebody was singing "House of the Rising Sun" last night at work. I love that song, and actually first heard it on an Elektra Records compilation called Rubaiyat. It was covered by Tracy Chapman.

The Rubaiyat compilation introduced me to a ton of bands. It was all current Elektra artists covering other Elektra artists' songs, and I picked it up for the Cure's version of "Hello, I Love You" by the Doors. The rest of the compilation was hit-and-miss, but I wore the cassettes out. It made for good cross-country-skiing music in my bright yellow, water-resistant Sports Walkman.

My favorite version is by the Animals. Holy crap does Eric Burdon look like he is 12 years old. His voice is insane.



A friend pointed me to this brilliant Nina Simone version as well.

No comments: