Friday, July 30, 2010

Earworm: It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine)

About halfway through my junior year of high school the local metal station started playing "It's the End of the World as We Know It (and I Feel Fine)" by R.E.M. on a continuous loop for an entire weekend. No one knew what was going on, but my friends and I loved it, pointlessly recording hours of the song on 90-minute cassettes. It ended up being a transition of sorts, with a buyout causing the station to change formats from hard rock to alternative and was the single greatest moment in my lifetime of music snobbery.

The resulting station, "The Edge" ended up being my least favorite of any of the Minneapolis-based alternative stations, playing a more mainstream level of alternative music instead of acting like college stations on a larger scale. It didn't last long though, with relatively-quick change back to hard rock a couple of years later. That's when I switched over to exclusively listening to the local college station instead.

So that makes my radio-station casualty list:

KJ104
REV 105
93.7, The Edge
Zone 105
I'm fascinated by the Minneapolis-radio wars. I guess that's going to be my new obsession.

No comments: