Monday, July 26, 2010

Earworm: Let's Dance to Joy Division

My current taste in music is a lot different than it used to be, but I still love the dismal sounds of my youth. I'm as likely to be in a mood to listen to the Cure or Wolfsheim as I am to listen to Against Me! and the Gaslight Anthem. No matter what though, certain Britpop bands bridge the gap between the two sounds. Oftentimes it's bands like Pulp or Blur that take on that role, but it's the singles that really stand out for some of these tracks.

2007 marked my introduction to "Let's Dance to Joy Division" by the Wombats. They sound like every other UK garage band that came out around that time, and I'm never quite sure what band I'm listening to at any given time. Yesterday's earworm was one, and today's is no different. Misery loves company, and it's a hell of a single, bridging the gap quite nicely.

No comments: