Thursday, July 29, 2010

Earworm: Me and My Llama

Kids' shows were different in the 1970s. I don't know what sort of acid trip was going on at the Children's Television Workshop, but I loved every minute of Sesame Street. It actually continued to be decent until Jim Henson died in 1990. He is my all-time hero, and the main reason I dream of making a living doing voice-over work.

The "Me and My Llama" song has stuck with me since I was a child, only to be recently rediscovered through the magic of YouTube.

There is a warning label on the Sesame Street: Old School DVD that states, "These early Sesame Street episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today’s preschool child." What I see of children's programming these days is outright depressing. It's all bright colors and soothing voices, and seems to be dumbed down, pandering to the masses. Overpopulation needs an idiot-box for a babysitter though, right?

No comments: