Thursday, July 22, 2010

Earworm: (Nothing But) Flowers

I really should get into David Byrne, but  haven't enjoyed his solo albums nearly as much as his Talking Heads stuff.

I actually first heard the Talking Heads randomly when my father took me to a pop-culture exhibit at the Walker Art Center around 1988. The video for "(Nothing But) Flowers" was playing in one of the rooms, and I wrote down the name of the band so I could pick up the tape later. This was at the time when I had discovered They Might Be Giants, and "(Nothing But) Flowers" was right up my alley.

My mom took me everywhere looking for that damn tape. Of course, I couldn't remember the name of the song or album, so I ended up buying a copy of their 1978 album More Songs About Buildings and Food. Upon listening to the album, I didn't hear what I was looking for, so the tape went into its case. I didn't like it at all.

Finally, I found a copy of 1988's Naked, which contained "Nothing But Flowers," and didn't care for the rest of the album very much. It went into the tape case too.

It wasn't until a couple years later that I heard "Burning Down the House" on the local radio station. That made me run out and get a copy of the Stop Making Sense live album and look into their back catalog again. I dusted off the More Songs cassette and gave it another listen. I just about wore that tape out.

Note to self: Add the Talking Heads DualDisc box set and the Blu-ray of Stop Making Sense to my Amazon wish list.

No comments: