Friday, July 23, 2010

Earworm: Super Mario Bros. Underworld Theme

I begged. I pleaded. I had to have a NES. My best friend across the street had one with Rob-E the robot and everything. My parents finally broke down and got me one, right before the SNES was released. I played it 'til my fingers bled. It was the Christmas of '89.

The music first heard in world 1-2 of the original Super Mario Bros haunts my dreams. It doesn't go away, ever. Sure, it may get pushed back by other songs, but it always comes crawling back for more.



Somehow I talked my mom into getting me pop-culture cereals a lot when I was growing up. I remember the Nintendo Cereal system. I had one box of it in the cupboard for probably a year. It came out of the box stale and became instantly soggy when milk was added. Most cash-in cereals were like that, but Nintendo cereal was marketed as being different. There were two bags inside. Unfortunately, that didn't help the freshness one bit. as I opened the Super Mario side and was disgusted. The Zelda side was no better, and I hid the box far back in the cupboard in favor of traditional fare like Rice Krispies and Grape Nuts.

Go Mom. Way to play the nutrition card by getting me stuff that I wanted, but that I would actually hate. Reverse psychology wins once again.

No comments: