Monday, August 9, 2010

Earworm: Bad Romance

I enjoy some Lady Gaga from time to time. That woman makes some damn good pop music, even if I couldn't stand her at first. "Let's Dance" struck me as inane drivel, but having "Poker Face" drilled into my skull a million times during my honeymoon wore down my defenses. Since then I have been pretty happy with most of her singles except for "Alejandro." I don't like that one at all.

Even if I didn't care for her performance aspect, she is a great songwriter. My absolute favorite Lady Gaga song so far is "Bad Romance." It does a fantastic job of blending happy pop music with fairly dark lyrics, and has spawned a ton of great covers. The best of the bunch is by an American folk singer called Lissie. She sounds like Melissa Etheridge in her most desperate, worn out moments and I absolutely love it. That breathy, raspy voice gets me every time.



Wow, I have never seen the video for the original version of "Bad Romance" before. I need to see this woman in concert.

No comments: