Sunday, August 15, 2010

Earworm: Fishin' in the Dark

When I was in school, there were certain country songs at school dances that everyone knew except for me. I couldn't stand the music, believing that modern, mainstream country deserved its own special place in music hell. As I have gotten older, I have come to appreciate some of the crowd pleasers as generally well-written, fun songs that transcend genres. Well, it's either that or everyone is generally drunk enough to be happy listening to almost anything.

I first started appreciating some country music when I worked as a bartender in the western-themed restaurant at the Mall of America. There was a husband-and-wife duo that played live on the stage, and when they found out that I was a big choir nerd in high school they took every chance they could to pull me up on stage and make me sing with them. The only trouble was that I didn't know a single one of the songs. They took the opportunity to teach me the wicked ways of their craft and then left to work on a cruiseliner. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't know songs like "Fishin' in the Dark" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band like the back of my hand. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, but anything that expanded my musical horizons beyond listening to nothing but Nine Inch Nails and Tori Amos had to be a blessing in disguise, right?

No comments: