Saturday, August 28, 2010

Earworm: Girls and Boys

I don't get Good Charlotte. The music is terrible, the guys come across as complete poseurs, and the band bridged a gap between hip-hop, punk and pop that really didn't need to be introduced to the mainstream.

The real problem though? They know how to write an earworm like it's nobody's business. I like several of their singles. Not love, mind you, but like. It's more than a basic tolerance.

Luckily, they haven't put out an album in a while, so I have managed to escape their song-stylings for quite some time, aside from when I pick up my copy of Elite Beat Agents for the Nintendo DS. That song is "The Anthem," covered by a sound-alike for the game. Great. Now I'm going to get that one stuck in my head. Hopefully I won't be writing about Good Charlotte two days in a row. I don't think they would make for a very good muse.

No, today's song is "Girls and Boys," the third single from Good Charlotte's second album, The Young and the Hopeless. Someone quoted it at work last night, and that's all it took to have it bore its way into my skull and liquefy my brains.

Crap, Wikipedia tells me that Good Charlotte have a new album coming out in November. I'm assuming that after having only one decent song on their last album that they'll be pulling it together to wage warfare on my mind. This is going to be a long, poppy, autotuned winter.

No comments: