Saturday, August 14, 2010

Earworm: I Write Sins Not Tragedies

I feel really old sometimes. "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" is already five years old. It made me feel old then and it makes me feel old now. The Panic! At the Disco singer is 11 years younger than me and has a few hit singles under his belt. I probably never will, given that I have already given up on my rapping career. I keep thinking that these little kids keep making music when I am more than a decade older than them, but then I remember that I'm in my mid-early thirties and it's perfectly respectable to have a career already in your early twenties.

"I Write Sins Not Tragedies" was an interesting hybrid while emo was finding its footing in mainstream music. Panic! At the Disco seemed more influenced by Tears for Fears and the Beatles than their contemporaries who were rooted in every other band that sounded the same at that time. I seem to remember Pete Wentz from Fall Out Boy signing them to the Decaydance label because he figured that he should be able to make money off of bands that sounded like his own. Why not? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and Panic! At the Disco inserted enough visual flair to come across as something fairly new and exciting, with or without the extraneous exclamation point.

Wow, finding a working video of this was a chore. Apparently the record label has taken it upon itself to remove most of the videos from the interwebs due to some sort of internation-copyright snafu. That's good marketing.

PANIC! AT THE DISCO ~ I WRITE SINS NOT TRAGEDIES

MySpace Video

No comments: