Saturday, August 7, 2010

Earworm: It Ain't Over 'til It's Over

My family took a vacation to Australia in the early 1990s, when I was at the beginning of my adolescence. It was summer here, which meant it was winter there. I have lots of vivid memories of that time, starting with Sydney being an absolute wind tunnel. My Minnesota blood even found it to be almost too cold to handle. Still, it was one of the happiest times of my life.

I remember arriving into our first hotel, turning on the television and discovering a music-video program that was playing a pop-up-video style show. "It Ain't Over 'til It's Over" by Lenny Kravitz was playing, and the television told me that he did not own a single pair of socks. That's it. Not one pair.

The next morning involved watching an episode of Silverhawks and walking through the city streets. I want to go back there with a quickness.

The flight back home wasn't so much fun. I couldn't fall asleep on airplanes at that time, so I passed out during a very long layover in Hawaii. Unfortunately it was in the back of a rental convertible with my head tilted back and my mouth wide open. My tongue got sunburned. I have no desire to go back to Hawaii. I hate Hawaii. Austrailia though? I would go back there in a heartbeat. Crunchie bars and Lift soda are the stuff of which my dreams are made.

No comments: