Saturday, August 21, 2010

Earworm: Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

The family VCR was a great equalizer in the 1980s. We would pile in my parent's tiny Toyota Corolla hatchback and drive to the video store in the middle of winter. Everyone was warm, and everyone was happy. I would always beg my parents to let me rent whatever horror movie caught my eye at the time, but would come home with a kid-friendly Disney movie instead. They were too smart for me.

Still, I was allowed to stay up and watch whatever movie they had picked out on a fairly regular basis. I only remember a few of those movies vividly, mostly because my parents suddenly found them to be inappropriate for my young eyes at some point during the screening. One of them was Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I have since seen the film a few times as an adult, but will forever remember two parts. One was the bicycle scene while "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" played, and the other was when Robert Redford made his girlfriend strip down at gunpoint. That's when my parents kicked me out of the room and I proceeded to throw a temper tantrum, refusing to watch the rest of the movie.

Sadly, I have never really been able to appreciate the film since then. I understand that a lot of people love it, but for me it's too slow paced, and those scenes never quite live up to the memories that I have made of them.

No comments: