Friday, August 20, 2010

Earworm: Rhythm Is Gonna Get You

You are powerless. It's coming for you. There is no denying it. There is no point in fighting it, as resistance is futile. It is going to get you no matter what you do.

I don't know what it is about "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You" by Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine, but it will find its way into my head every few years and won't let go. There's just something about the way it just gives its mission statement right up front that sucks me in every time. It's incredibly poppy, but has a darker edge that is lying just below the surface.

For some reason, right now it brings to mind thoughts of serial killers on hot summer nights, kind of like the whole Son of Sam thing that happened in New York City in the mid 1970s. I imagine someone stealing children whenever the tornado sirens would go off in Minneapolis. Of course, this never actually happened, but we did have a creepy hermit of a neighbor that my best friend and would tell stories about. He was our very own neighborhood bogeyman, and he scared the living daylights out of us.

I miss tornado weather. There was just that dead air in the neighborhood, when everything would get a little dimmer and seem pretty surreal while we waited for the sirens to blare. I remember the air as seeming somehow thicker with anticipation. The colors were washed out and almost sepia-toned in nature, like we were living in an old movie.

At some point that all went away. The vivid days of my childhood started blurring together as time went by faster. I guess that's how it goes for everyone, but I keep looking back on those times, hoping to catch a glimpse of when I was afraid that the rhythm was hiding around every corner and it was just a matter of time until it did get me. It's still coming though. I can feel it.

No comments: