Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Earworm: Time to Change

Somehow I got "Time to Change" from The Brady Bunch stuck in my head last night. I haven't heard it in years, but the sha-na-na hook pops in for a visit from time to time. It's not very easy to get out either.

I remember watching The Brady Bunch a lot when I was a kid. The episodes where they were in Hawaii? That was some scary stuff for my four-year-old self. Somehow I never made the association that it was aired in reruns when I was growing up and that the clothes were terribly out of style. Either that or the stuff my mom had me wearing was all bell bottoms and lederhosen. Actually, there are pictures to prove that she made me wear lederhosen. I was a very tolerant child.

So here's what I think that I remember of the episode with "Time to Change" in it: The kids entered themselves in yet another talent contest and worked up some song that was sure to win them first prize. Peter screwed everything up by hitting puberty, God forbid. So they somehow recorded a demo tape with another song and had him squawk his way through the chorus. It all worked out because his changing voice worked perfectly for the whole theme of the song. The laugh track kicked in whenever his voice would crack, and everything was just hunky-dory. Lesson learned.

I wish my puberty had been that easy. I was awfully awkward during those years and didn't have a hot stepsister in whom to place my confidence. Instead my life was like a live-action episode of Beavis and Butt-Head, but with much more parental supervision and far fewer music videos.

No comments: