Thursday, August 12, 2010

Earworm: Wanna Be a Baller

This is another of the songs from my DJ days. I was sick of it before it even got requests. Keep in mind that this was Minneapolis before the internet made everything accessible to everyone everywhere at once. New music traveled in a spiral, making its way around the country and finally ending with us. By the time something hit pop radio, and thus my clientele's ears, it was already played out everywhere else in the country. I tried playing "Wanna Be a Baller" by Lil' Troy a few times before it blew up, but slow songs would clear the floor every time. Then one day everyone was suddenly asking for it. I refused the first few times, but finally relented to prove them wrong. No one left. Everyone sitting around the bar came out and danced. Minneapolis's behind-the-times anthem of 1998 had been found, and the crowd loved every minute of it.

No comments: