Sunday, August 22, 2010

Earworm: When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going

Hey, it's a two-parter! I knew this would happen. Yesterday's "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" post brought another movie song to the top of my mind, and for the same reason. I threw a temper tantrum when my parents kicked me out of the room during the stripping scene at the beginning of Romancing the Stone. I find it funny that they never had any problem with the violence, but sex? That was something that no child should ever see. Sheesh.

So today's earworm is actually from the sequel. Due to the aformentioned temper tantrum, I never saw Romancing the Stone until I was well into my 20s, but my parents still took me to the theater to see The Jewel of the Nile. I remember loving it, but watching it years later back-to-back with Romancing the Stone left a lot to be desired. My wife loves both movies though, and the music video for "When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going" by Billy Ocean is pretty fun. Danny DeVito always made me laugh and Billy Ocean's vocals generally put me in a good mood.

Wow, this has been a week filled with childhood memories and stories about my parents. They're going to want royalties soon.

No comments: