Friday, August 27, 2010

Earworm: Whole Lotta Love

First the Doors, and now Led Zeppelin. I'm not doing very well with classic-rock bands that people adore. I never understood the appeal. I like a handful of Zep songs, but not enough to fill more than a greatest-hits album. "Whole Lotta Love" is one of the few that I do love. Robert Plant is one of the gods of vocal rock, even if can only take his yowling in small doses.

I tried really hard to get into them though. Tori Amos always talked about how much she loved them in her live shows, and every time I would come home after one I would crank up the stereo until my head was numb.

Unlike the Doors, I do think that Led Zeppelin is an important band. Current, good music wouldn't be the same without them.

Pure earworms are few and far between these days, after doing this every day for the past three months. This is one of them. I haven't heard the song in years. It popped into my head randomly, although I do have a strong memory of it. I was looking through an old middle-school yearbook last night and the memories came flooding back. A friend and I performed "Whole Lotta Love"--on kazoos--in the seventh grade. Neither of us knew the song, and picked it up from his parents' record collection. We just kept kazooing the main bass-line over and over, never knowing when to leave the stage. I think we wore trench coats and wigs too.

My yearbook was full of "Geoff, you're a weird kid"-type messages. I'll let that freak flag fly.

No comments: