Sunday, August 29, 2010

Earworm: Why Can't I

I love internet radio. Pandora introduced me to its technological joys, but recently I have switched over to using Slacker instead. Their music selection just seems to be better, and I skip songs far less frequently.

Yesterday I had Slacker create a station based on Veruca Salt. They are sure to be the subject of an earworm at a later date. It started off with "Seether," but the next song was one that I hadn't heard in several years. "Why Can't I," From Liz Phair's 2003's terrible comeback album Liz Phair was the only tolerable song on the whole thing, but I really hated it at the time. It destroyed absolutely everything that I respected about her in the past. The production was too slick, the lyrics were cheesy, and it was co-written by the Matrix, the ultimate in pop-radio hitmakers. While the rest of the album still makes me want to drive a railroad spike through my skull, surprisingly "Why Can't I" has aged well. It mixed in well with the rest of the girl groups that dominated my Slacker station.

Usually when a song like that comes on, it makes me reminisce about the artist's older work, and I will dive into the back catalog once again. Not this time though. I won't post it here, but only look up "H.W.C," another song from Liz Phair, if you don't want to sleep soundly for the next few weeks. Seriously. There's no coming back from that.

No comments: