Thursday, September 2, 2010

Earworm: Airplanes

I don't listen to current pop radio as a rule, but occasionally I get sick of forgetting to update my iPod with new music. It is then that I give in and tune into whatever I can find polluting the airwaves.

Recently I turned on the radio to find Nickelback playing on the one good station that I get between work and home. I changed the station to top-40, and "Airplanes" by B.O.B. and Hayley Williams was playing. I recognized her voice from Paramore, one of the not-terrible pop-rock bands that the kids listen to these days. It was pleasant enough, but he chorus threw me. I thought that the word "wish" was the typical "ish" that is used when censoring rap songs for radio play. "I could really use a shit right now" started my mind racing, and I was disappointed upon finding out the real lyrics. I knew it was too good to be true. It's not a great song, but it isn't terrible either.

Immediately afterward, the pop station started playing Nickelback, so I switched back to my old standby. They hadn't finished whatever made me change the station in the first place, so I scanned to another rock station, and wouldn't you know it? Nickelback again.

Thrice Nickelback has to be a sign of the coming apocalypse, so I chose to turn the radio off and enjoyed sweet silence for the next few minutes. The world didn't end and my sanity was saved, for better or for worse.

No comments: