Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Earworm: Bedroom Bully

I had a really hard time defining boundaries. We've been over this before to an extent. My mother was a social worker and refused to let me listen to Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead but had no problem with Nine Inch Nails and Prince. Instead of running with that and enjoying whatever freedom that I did have, I decided to try to figure out the reasoning behind her musical censorship. I borrowed CDs from friends in the hopes of uncovering some sort of pattern. One friend in particular was really into gangsta rap and dancehall. She had no problem with Eazy-E or Dr. Dre albums that I borrowed from him, but objected to "The Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground. I didn't get it, so when he brought a copy of X-tra Naked by Shabba Ranks to school and I found that it contained a song called "Bedroom Bully?" I figured that if anything was going to set her off, this would be it. Of course, she didn't say a word.

A few years later, my parents were helping me move into my freshman dorm. My dad asked where my mom went, but I didn't know. We found her dancing down the hall to some music that was playing from another room. It was "Fuck Shop" by the 2 Live Crew. Seriously. I will never understand that woman.

Holy crap, I can't believe that "Bedroom Bully" was released as a single. The video is absolutely ridiculous.

No comments: