Sunday, September 12, 2010

Earworm: Juke Joint Jezebel

The power of suggestion rules all today, but not from my wife this time. She doesn't like this song. Me though? I love it. "Juke Joint Jezebel" is one of the greatest songs ever recorded.

I was first introduced to their music by a radio station promo in which I called in and said what I thought KMFDM stood for. I, of course had heard the rumors that it meant "Kill Mother Fucking Depeche Mode," so I went with it. The DJ said that I had to pick something else so it could be broadcasted on-air, so I picked something like "Kittens Must Find Dumb Mice." That got me a copy of the 1992 album Money, which was one of my very first CDs. I loved every minute of it. It was different than anything that I had ever heard before, and sounded incredibly fresh to my young ears. It took me a while to find out that it was really a glorified EP of new material filled with remixes to fill it out, but that didn't matter to me. I didn't know the original mixes, so it was all new to me.

After that, I slowly built up my KMFDM collection, buying each album and loving Aidan Hughes' jacket artwork on each one. They were all animated together brilliantly in the 1993 video for "A Drug Against War." Then Nihil came out in 1995. The album cover didn't have the same artwork, and I was immediately turned off. That all changed when I fired up the CD. Track two, "Juke Joint Jezebel" was somehow a perfect blend of rock, electronica and industrial insanity in its 5:40 running time. It single-handedly summed up everything exciting that was happening in music at the time, and is an absolute classic that will always get me dancing wherever I am.

No comments: