Sunday, September 19, 2010

Earworm: The Last Unicorn

Yesterday's Richard Marx/Kenny Loggins internal argument reminded me of Kenny Loggins covering "The Last Unicorn" by America. His version was terrible, but I still love the movie and its accompanying soundtrack.

My mother took me to see The Last Unicorn in the theater when I was a kid. I remember the movie vividly, and have seen it countless times since. What really stands out to me though is that my mother's car was on the other side of the parking lot when we came out. This was in the days when pretty much any Toyota Corolla key would start another Corolla. The 1980s were a much simpler time.

While she always insisted that someone took her car for a joyride, even I knew at that young age that the ignition keys were pretty much interchangeable. Somehow as a child I was able to calm her down and appeal to her rational side.

Now I want to go watch the movie. I wonder if my wife has seen it. Time to turn off trying to get her to watch horror movies and temporarily substitute cartoons.

No comments: