Friday, September 17, 2010

Earworm: Mister Lee

When I was in Cub Scouts, one of the other children in my den got me into a radio show called Kids America. It was short-lived, but I'm pretty sure that it was a nationally-syndicated show on something like NPR. Whatever it was, it aired on AM radio and I begged my parents to let me sit at the dinner table with my headphones on. It was either that or rush through dinner in an attempt to hear whatever goofy music was playing.

Really, it was just a variation of Doctor Demento, but one that I didn't have to stay up way past my bedtime to enjoy. My parents didn't mind aside from the dinner-table thing. I would record what I missed and play the shows later. My dad would even let me tune in while driving me to violin lessons in the middle of winter. I always thought that it had to drive him insane, but it turned out that most of the music was comprised of songs like "Mr. Lee" by the Bobbettes. It's the kind of stuff that played on my parents' oldies station. If it played there, I hated it, but on my own show? If I wasn't being forced to listen to it, then everything was cool.

I have more memories built around Kids America, but don't want to waste them on a single post. This will do for today.

No comments: