Friday, September 24, 2010

Earworm: Out of My Head

Fastball is one of those mid-to-late '90s bands that I'm cool with in a greatest-hits-compilation sort of way. They know how to write a hook, something that is most evident in the single "Out of My Head" from 1998's All the Pain Money Can Buy. I have never heard another song quite like it. It is the only song that I can think of that is almost all chorus. Seriously. Take a listen. It has one verse, then they go through the chorus a million times. Okay, there are only three choruses, but the song is just over 2:30 long. I don't understand it, but it is definitely prime real estate, so why not fill up the entire thing with one of the best hooks that I have ever heard? I have never heard another song like it again, and it sticks to my ribs every time. It's sugary pop is so potent that I'm pretty sure it could give anyone diabetes on the spot.

No comments: