Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Earworm: Sailing on the Seven Seas

Today's earworm comes from the 1991 album Sugar Tax by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, another of the last cassettes that I bought before getting my first CD player. I just about wore it out playing the tape over and over again. While the whole album was excellent, it was album-opener "Sailing on the Seven Seas" that kept me coming back for more. I could rarely get through the entire album without rewinding or fast-forwarding to that first track.

When I finally got that first CD player, I quickly invested in OMD's then-released greatest-hits album. Of course I knew "If You Leave," from Pretty in Pink like the back of my hand, but there were so many more of their songs that immediately crawled into my ear and took up permanent residence. I'm not a fan of best-of compilations as a rule, but that one introduced me to classics like "Electricity" and "Enola Gay" as well. My musical upbringing was changed forever.

Gasp! Wikipedia tells me that the classic OMD lineup will be releasing a new album this month! Hopefully it will be a big part of my autumn playlist. I could go for a good nostalgia trip right about now.

No comments: