Friday, September 10, 2010

Earworm: You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)

I love classic Meat Loaf. Pretty much anything up through the mid-1990s is golden in my book. I remember going to the record store in the mall when I first started buying music and seeing the original Bat of Hell album on the shelf, but never actually picked it up. If those had been the days of vinyl, that album would have been in my collection instantly. The jacket is too good to pass up.

I finally heard some songs from Bat Out of Hell about halfway through high school. A few friends and I piled into a van before our school's speech-team tournament, and the introduction to "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)" started playing.

"On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?"

I'm pretty sure that we were late to that meet, as I made the guys play that introduction over and over again. I went out a picked up a copy of the whole Bat Out of Hell album later that day and memorized the whole thing, start to finish. It's an absolute classic. and I need a framed, vinyl copy to hang on my wall.

I haven't listened to Bat Out of Hell in ages, ever since the SACD version came out with re-recorded vocals. I guess the master tapes were destroyed at some point, which made full remastering impossible. That tarnished the original album for me a little bit. That original mix though? Absolutely classic. I'll take its muddy sound any day.

No comments: