Saturday, October 16, 2010

Earworm: Do You Know Where You're Going To

Growing up in Minneapolis in the 1980s, there were certain commercials from which a kid couldn't escape. "Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)" by Diana Ross was one of them. It seemed like every time I turned on the television, there was an ad for a local law firm that featured the song. It had the typically-depressed-looking people who needed an attorney for the usual criminal activities, but ended with a very hopeful woman simply saying "adoption." That stuck with me, and I've always had a soft spot for the song because of it. Why shouldn't it? I was adopted as well.

That reminds me of a summer camp story. When I was first starting high school, I went to camp and met a girl who was also adopted. It was exciting for both of us to have that in common, so we talked about it all the time.

There was also a very nosy kid that always listened in on our conversations. One day he asked both of us if we were Korean. It was understandable, since there were a ton of children adopted from Korea in the 1970s. The only problem is that the girl and I both had blond hair and blue eyes.

We both said that we were.

No comments: