Monday, October 18, 2010

Earworm: Zombie

Wow, I really used to love the Cranberries. While I don't particularly care for their music anymore, I certainly did in high school. I will forever identify Everyone Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? with  driving around during heavy snowfall with "Linger" playing from my car speakers.

That brings us to the song in question for today. When the second album, No Need to Argue, dropped, I was immediately drawn to "Zombie," a song that took everything from their first album and made it much, much more powerful. I played it constantly, to the point where if I had been playing guitar, my finger would have been bleeding. Instead, I just annoyed my parents with Dolores O'Riordan's voice.

Sadly, my love for the Cranberries was to be short-lived. The third album, To the Faithful Departed, annoyed me off to no end. I absolutely hate "Salvation," a terribly-written piece of preachy, screechy garbage. It didn't help that it was released during my freshman year of college, when my musical tastes were changing for the better. Look it up if you don't believe me. It's absolutely horrible.

Nostalgia is a powerful tool of erosion, though, and the Cranberries came back into my life in 2004, when I was finally nearing the end of my undergraduate career. I took a political-communication class in which we had to run a campaign for a fake politician. On April Fools' Day, my group's candidate presented a mock-press release in which she took a strong stance toward protecting the city from the zombie apocalypse. Other classmates took it upon themselves to show that our candidate didn't take the election seriously, but we won in the end with a hastily-written advertisement that was underscored by the Cranberries.

That was the most rewarding A that I have ever received.

A little shameless self-promotion here, but my dream is to get into doing voice-over work. My very first blog post is a commercial that a friend and I made for a Penske contest, but the election commercial is what made me decide that I wanted to explore voice-over acting at all. Sadly, there do not seem to be many opportunities in Knoxville, but I will continue to dream. Any leads would be most appreciated, as well.



No comments: