Thursday, November 11, 2010

Earworm: Ball and Chain

Tuesday night I went to see Social Distortion in concert. Frank Turner and Lucero opened, and they were awesome. I wish that I could say the same about Social D. Mike Ness still sounds fine, but there is nothing to distinguish an album cut from a live version. Well, nothing to distinguish until songs like "Ball and Chain," when Ness destroyed one of my favorite songs by performing vocal tricks. It was all downhill from there. He just seemed really bored throughout.

While the headliner was dull live, both Frank Turner and Lucero were well worth the price of admission. Still, the new songs that Social Distortion have me pretty excited to hear the new album in January. I just won't be seeing them in concert again. Sadly, the vitality that made Mike Ness great 20 years ago is all but gone now.

No comments: