Monday, November 22, 2010

Earworm: Do the Mario!

Yesterday my wife and I made our first major purchase as a married couple. It was furniture. Soon we shall be sleeping on a brand new, comfortable bed. Yay! That might be the end of this blog, but somehow I doubt it. I don't think that the quality of the mattress will have any effect on the songs that run through my head. I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with this blessing and/or curse forever more.

While we were perusing the store's selection, there was a never-ending loop on the television of the children's section that was playing Transformers and The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! It was a little weird, given that we are currently in 2010, but whatever. The animation has changed, but brightly-colored, fast-moving shapes are pretty universal, right? I figure that cartoons are always new to kids.

I always loved the end credits of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! Captain Lou Albano did "The Mario" like no one could. It made me think that I could dance. I can't. Ask my wife. I step on her feet when walking behind her, so dancing is pretty much out of the question. I think she would appreciate the continued ability of self-propelled, forward motion.

Captain Lou died just over a year ago. I can't see a rubber band* without feeling a little empty inside anymore.



*For the kids too young to remember when wrestling was entertaining, Captain Lou Albano wore rubber bands in his beard. Now you know.

No comments: