Thursday, November 25, 2010

Earworm: Toy Soldiers

In an effort to make room for the new furniture, I'm cleaning out 34 years of acquired toys and such. I was an only child and my parents never made me get rid of anything. The untrained eye would see me as a hoarder of sorts, but I'm really not. They took the opportunity to drop everything off at the house upon my return from our honeymoon, and it's all just been sitting in the attic. It's hard parting with all these toy...soldiers.

I don't care if the subject of today's earworm doesn't match what's going on here. Martika's "Toy Soldiers" popped into my head while I was making piles and piles of stuff to sell and/or donate. When I'm done, there will be ridiculous amounts of room. All that's sticking around are my old Star Wars and He-Man figures, as well as the occasional Transformer. That still takes up plenty of room, but not the insane amount of space that is currently filled. If I don't have this done by the time we move, I'm in for a nightmare of packing and repacking. I moved across the country three times with boxes and boxes filled with 3000 CDs. I don't want to go through that again. The music may be gone, handily ripped onto a hard drive the size of a book, but toys are harder to compress digitally. Hopefully there will be an ultra-rare item that can make us able to retire before we're 40. That would be cool.

Wasn't there some sort of rumor that Martika was Casey Kasem's daughter? I don't think that's true, but I'll keep my feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars anyway.

No comments: