Friday, December 24, 2010

Earworm: Frosty the Snowman



Do you know what the sad thing is? As much as I have been able to avoid Christmas music this season, I'm pretty much guaranteed to have it stuck in my head until February. That isn't fair. Don't think that I'll be taking it gracefully though. I'm all for Christmas in July, but I'll be fighting Christmas until Valentine's Day every step of the way.

Today's earworm is "Frosty the Snowman." In both the song and the cartoon, Frosty smokes a pipe. You would think that he would turn yellow quickly between being peed on by random dogs and the tar staining, but he stays white through and through. I do like that he shouts "Happy birthday!" every time he comes to life. That's the way to take the day by the balls, right there. Grasp it and twist. That's right, grasp and twist. Snow balls. See what I did there? I haven't even had anything to drink yet.

The Jimmy Durante version is a classic, but my personal favorite rendition of "Frosty the Snowman" is the one from the Brady Bunch. It was sung in character by the actress who played Cindy on the show. The pacing of the song is terrible, like no one had time for anything but one take. None of the kids match up at all in the later verses. Still, you haven't had your heart broken until you've heard a little girl with a lisp singing "thumpity-thump-thump" as a melting ice monster fades into the sunset.

No comments: