Thursday, December 16, 2010

Earworm: Paranoid Android

I used to love, love, love Radiohead. Their first album had some good songs that I enjoyed quite a bit, but then came their one-two punch of The Bends and OK Computer. Those are two of my favorite albums ever recorded.

Perhaps it was because I was starting to listen to different sounds, but I really didn't care for anything that came after that. Kid A, Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief bored me. They seemed to be finally making a return to form with 2007's In Rainbows, but I was more excited about the marketing than the album itself. Upon downloading my copy and pressing play, I was utterly underwhelmed. The music was okay, and I certainly enjoyed it more than anything that had come out in the previous ten years, but it just seemed unfinished.

Flash forward three years, and I'm reading an article on cracked.com about Easter eggs hidden in albums. I knew about the hidden booklet under the Kid A CD tray, but the second Radiohead entry really took me by surprise. It turns out that the songs of In Rainbows are meant to be played alternating with tracks from OK Computer. I immediately fired up iTunes and created a playlist. In Rainbows still doesn't stand up as a singular album for me, but holy crap. Suddenly the mix changes completely, creating a monster of an album and one of the greatest things that I have ever heard. Neither album will ever sound the same again.

Oh yeah, today's earworm. Let's go with "Paranoid Android." That was one of my favorites from OK Computer. I especially love the "rain down on me" section towards the end of the song.

I'm pretty sure that I will actively listen to nothing but 01 and 10 mix of OK Computer and In Rainbows for the rest of the year. You should two. There are a solid two weeks to discover one of the greatest things that has ever been recorded. Your homework has been assigned. Get on it.

Embedding of the "Paranoid Android" has been disabled, so here's a link to the official YouTube entry. Enjoy.

No comments: