Sunday, December 5, 2010

Earworm: In the Hall of the Mountain King

When I was a kid, I had a Texas Instruments computer that had terrible cartridge-based games which aped popular counterparts. Two of my favorites were Munch Man and T.I. Invaders, but my favorite was a hide-and-seek game called Hunt the Wumpus. I am unaware of a real counterpart, but Hunt the Wumpus was the shit. In the game, I took on the role of a cave explorer who moved blindly from room to room in something like Minesweeper and Pitfall combined. It made no sense, and the Wumpus itself was the stuff of legends, looking like a BASIC version of some sort of Lovecraftian deity. I rarely made it far enough to defeat the game, but I played it enough to remember one thing. The theme song was a digitized rendition of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" by Edvard Grieg. It is music like this that underscores my dreams. I wouldn't have it any other way.



No comments: