Saturday, January 8, 2011

Earworm: Birdhouse in Your Soul

Have I really not written about They Might Be Giants before? I know I mentioned them a few days ago, but looking back shows me that I have only written about Mono Puff. That will be rectified: Now.
 
I love They Might Be Giants. They are one of the first bands that I got into when I first started listening to real music oh so many years ago, and were the perfect gateway between levels of adolescence. The 1990 album Flood was the first one that I had when it was brand new (Miscelaneous T doesn't count), and was one cassette that I knew forwards and back. I'm pretty sure that I went through at least three copies before getting a copy on CD.
 
When I think about strong album openers, "Theme from Flood" and "Birdhouse in Your Soul" rank at the top of the list. I absolutely freaked out when it was performed in the first season of Pushing Daisies a couple years ago. My wife can attest to that. I don't know if she knew the song going into it, but I'm pretty sure she will forever associate it with me singing along at the top of my lungs.
 
It has been far too long since the last time, but I have seen They Might Be Giants more times in concert than any other band. Their live show is amazing. The last time was about five years ago, and was enough to make me feel like I was 12 years old again. That's a good thing.


1 comment:

L said...

I'm offended by your music snobbery. Seriously? You think I had never heard that song? EAX