Thursday, January 20, 2011

Earworm: I'm Every Woman

Musak at work seems to be responsible for earworms more than any other source. That makes sense, since all I've been listening to outside of work is Girl Talk and Rise Against. That said, today's earworm is Whitney Houston's cover of "I'm Every Woman." I don't like Whitney Houston. Her voice was good, but the generic R&B that comes out of her leaves a lot to be desired.

I do like when she exclaims "Chaka Khan. Chaka Khan!" toward the end of the song though. It doesn't come across as a shout-out, nor is it a statement or even an opinion. Whitney Houston is commanding us to "Chaka Khan," whatever that means. I think that's what caused her downward spiral over the past 20 years. No one understood that she was trying to tell us to do something, and she couldn't reveal her secret without us knowing what she was talking about. The mysteries of the universe will forever be locked away. Not even Bobby Brown knows the truth.

No comments: