Saturday, January 1, 2011

Earworm: What are You Doing New Year's Eve

Well, another year has come and gone. Not for the Earworm though; it keeps humming along. Aside from the resolution to eat better and be a better person, I'm going to make an effort to make "Earworm" a proper noun. It's capitalized from now on.
 
While Christmas has more than its fair share of music, New Year's gets far less glory. There's "Auld Lang Syne," of course, but the only other song that I can think of to celebrate the holiday is "What are You Doing New Year's Eve." My favorite version is the one by Rufus Wainwright, which I'm pretty sure comes from a Gap commercial that aired in the late 1990s. His voice is fantastic, like molasses dripping off of a hot comb straight out of the oven.
 
How the hell did that analogy pop into my head? I have no idea what that even means.
 
That reminds me, I've been meaning to check out the album by Rufus's sister Martha. I like their dad's stuff, but never got around to hearing the non-male member of the family's music. There's another resolution for you.

No comments: