Monday, February 14, 2011

Earworm: Pony

Just in time for Valentine's Day, it's one of the absolutely most romantic songs ever recorded. It also happens to be one of my favorite songs of all time. There is no subtlety to Ginuwine's "Pony." After all, he's just a bachelor looking for a partner. Why would he need to put on kid gloves at all?

Wow, this is the first time that I have ever seen the video for "Pony," and Ginuwine is certainly great at bringing two opposing sides together. Nelly and Tim McGraw must have watched this video dozens of times before coming up with "Over and Over."

The video does answer one question that has always weighed heavy on my mind. I could never quite figure out what the metaphorical pony was supposed to be in the song. Was he using the word to describe his partner? As in "Ride it, my pony?" That didn't sit quite right. The video puts all theories to rest, however when Ginuwine points directly to his crotch during the first chorus. It's actually "Ride it; my pony." That answers it. He calls his penis a pony, and I suppose that's a perfectly acceptable nickname for a gentleman's trouser trout.

Oh, and is that Cee-Lo Green at 00:11? I think it just might be.

No comments: