Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Earworm: The Scientist

Sometimes I really don't understand popular music. I don't see anything wrong with Coldplay really, it's just that they got big too quickly. I remember when they first came out and were described as a poor-man's Radiohead. I loved that album, and its followup, A Rush of Blood to the Head. I wore "The Scientist" out to the point where I'm pretty good if I never hear it again. I find it kind of sad when I am responsible for ruining one of my own favorite songs.

Scratch that. I have now listened to the song for the first time in at least five years. It gave me chills.
The next two albums didn't do it for me. They went from a poor-man's Radiohead to a college student's U2. Suddenly I couldn't escape, and everything sounded like whining, poppy explosions.
I don't know where this is going, but suddenly I feel like listening to Tears for Fears. That's the end of my story.

No comments: