Monday, March 7, 2011

Earworm: (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding

Breaking through the Bayside wall. That's all I'm going for today. Don't get me wrong, it's my favorite album of the year so far, but I've listened to it so much that I'm on the verge of getting sick of it. That can't happen, so let's open up some web radio.

I'm sitting here, listening to the Gaslight Anthem channel on last.fm while a repair man is working on our HVAC unit. Nothing major, just some routine maintenance. Why I chose to have the appointment at 8:00 on a Monday morning is beyond me, but hey, I used to get by on four hours of sleep on a regular basis. Of course, these days I'm working with my liver, and I can no longer use hazy memories of ages 21-25 as an excuse for not acting like an adult.

Ooh, the HVAC is purring like a kitten. Nice.

Anyway, I'm listening to the Gaslight station, and a Tim Barry song comes on. Good stuff. For some reason, it reminds me of "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" by Elvis Costello. I mean Nick Lowe. I mean, well yeah. I'm pretty sure that Elvis Costello's version trumps 99% of any song ever recorded.

A few years back the Mrs. and I saw Elvis Costello in concert at the Tennessee Theatre. That was one of the loudest concerts that I had ever attended. I never used to wear earplugs at concerts. Now it's a necessity, but my ears still rang for days.

No comments: