Saturday, April 9, 2011

Earworm: Enjoy the Silence

I love Depeche Mode. There is no hiding that fact. The majority of the stuff released in the 1980s and 1990s is classic. I remember picking up a copy of Violator on cassette while visiting my grandmother in New Mexico. It was that or the DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince album that had "I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson" on it. My dad would only let me pick one. I think that I made the right choice.

Throughout their multi-decade life as a band, there hasn't been a song that has spoken to me quite like "Enjoy the Silence." It was from the first one of their albums that was new to me when I bought it, which was right around the time that I was really discovering music. I think it came out roughly around the same time that Ghostbusters II disappointed me to no end. Those two things have nothing to do with one another, but my mind snapped to the association anyway. I don't care. Suck it.

Yesterday morning Nada Surf's cover of "Enjoy the Silence" came on. It's not often that I'm happy with cover versions of my favorite songs, but theirs is different enough to make it their own. That works for me.

Dammit, Warner Bros. has disabled embedding for the original video. Here's a link.


No comments: